Volkswagen has developed a separate company to work on unmanned vehiclesOctober 29, 2019
The German corporation Volkswagen founded a subsidiary company Volkswagen Autonomy, which will develop unmanned systems for its own concern. It is estimated that commercial vehicles will be equipped with a fourth-level autopilot in the middle of the next decade.
The new sub-brand will have two headquarters, which will be located in Germany: one in Munich, the other in Wolfsburg. In 2020, the brand plans to open an office in the California Silicon Valley, and by 2021, in China.
“We want to make Volkswagen Autonomy a global company in which we can combine experience in mechanical engineering and technology. We are going to use the joint developments of the group to reduce the cost of unmanned vehicles, ”said Alexander Hitzinger, head of the sub-brand and member of the board of directors.
First of all, the corporation intends to introduce autonomous technologies into commercial models. We are talking about unmanned taxis and vans for transporting goods. Volkswagen Autonomy is about to focus on fourth-level unmanned systems that offer minimal human intervention in the control process.
- Volkswagen is working on a compact crossover ID.1
- Mitsubishi completes production of the world’s first mass-produced electric car
- The perfect self-driving taxi Muvone presented in the coronavirus pandemic
- Amphicar small-capacity convertible amphibious will be on sale
- Ford is testing a manual version of the Bronco SUV