Porsche may return to Formula 1March 5, 2021
Porsche brand management will consider entering Formula 1 when new regulations are introduced in 2025 to adopt clean e-fuel.
The German firm, part of the Volkswagen concern, has long been interested in returning to Formula 1 as an engine supplier. As reported exclusively by Autocar, it is speculated that the company has even begun development of an F1-spec 1.6-liter plug-in hybrid that is slated to be repurposed for a future hypercar.
The Formula 1 management will present new engine rules for the 2025 season. The technical details are still being decided by the organizers, teams and interested manufacturers, which reportedly includes Porsche.
F1 is committed to making synthetic fuels a central part of the regulation to help the sport reduce carbon emissions. This has renewed interest in this category from Porsche, which is also investing heavily in developing this type of fuel for its future “charged” vehicles.
- Auto show in Shanghai not without incident
- Wuling Mini EV Cabrio goes into series production
- Electric car Honda e turned into a drag racing car
- Genesis unveils electric version of the Genesis G80 sedan
- Nissan updated its Leaf electric car