Porsche can develop an ultralight compact sports carMay 24, 2020
As Porsche chief designer Michael Mauer said on Saturday, May 23, he would like to create a very lightweight compact car – a car that would become the ideological successor to the 550 Spyder in the mid-1950s.
New Porsche can build on the architecture of the 718 Boxster / Cayman. In an interview with Car reporters, Mauer noted that the company is technically capable of building an ultra-light sports car – using new materials, it is possible to reduce the weight of current cars.
But obviously, the German brand will not be able to repeat the indicators of a car 65 years ago with current security measures – it would be great if the curb weight of the new model did not exceed 1000 kg.
Now the title of the lightest in the family of Porsche road cars is the 718 Cayman T and 718 Boxster T, which have 300-horsepower 4-cylinder boxer turbo engines with a volume of 2.0 liters and a 6-speed manual transmission.
The curb weight of both cars is 1350 kg. It will be possible to reduce weight by 300 kg by simplifying the interior, and also by using an aluminum case, which has shortened overhangs and a low roof.
- Skoda prepares rival Renault Duster for sale
- Mercedes-Benz CL600 coupe from the 90s for sale
- Tesla will build a new plant to assemble trucks and sports cars
- All-new Nissan Skyline R34 sports car for half a million dollars at auction
- Photos of the new Hyundai Ioniq 5 with solar panels on the roof published