Mitsubishi Electric will buy part of the Sharp factoryJune 11, 2020
This is necessary to increase the production of microchips for electric vehicles
The Japanese company Mitsubishi Electric said it will buy part of the Sharp plant located in the western part of the country. There, Mitsubishi plans to launch the production of power management chips used in electric vehicles. Mitsubishi is Toyota Motor’s largest supplier of these products.
According to Mitsubishi, approximately $ 187 million will be invested in two idle Sharp production facilities. The launch of the lines will make it possible to increase the production of controllers and satisfy the growing demand for them, associated with an increase in the production of electric vehicles.
This step is Mitsubishi’s response to the actions of competitors represented by Infineon Technologies AG and ON Semiconductor, which are also expanding their production capacities engaged in the production of power controllers.
According to Mitsubishi, the new production will begin to work in November next year.
- Tesla offered independent European services to get official status
- Range Rover Electric Confirmed, Jaguar XJ Delayed
- Volkswagen will produce 500 thousand electric crossovers a year
- The hydrogen truck Mercedes-Benz GenH2 will have a range of 1000 km
- Porsche launches 2.1 MWh mobile charging station