Le Mans 24 Hour Race Delayed to September Due to Outbreak of Coronavirus

Le Mans 24 Hour Race Delayed to September Due to Outbreak of Coronavirus

March 19, 2020 0 By autotimesnews

This year, the famous Le Mans 24 Hours Endurance Race will be rescheduled – instead of June 13-14, it will be held from September 19 to 20. The outbreak of coronavirus is to blame.

The legendary Le Mans 24 Hours Endurance Race will be delayed for three months due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. If this date remains unchanged, this will mean that the World Endurance Championship this year will last almost 13 months, starting last year at Silverstone.

“The postponement of the Le Mans 24-hour race of 2020, which was originally scheduled for June 13-14, is an appropriate solution due to the extraordinary health conditions that we all face today,” said Pierre Fillon, president of the race organizer . “It goes without saying that we will make every effort to ensure the safety and quality of our events. Today it is about stopping the spread of this virus. I would also like to thank all the medical staff working to protect our health, ”he added.
  
It is clear that a delay in racing will delay the start of the next season and introduce the long-awaited class of hypercars, which is scheduled for September 5, 2020.

 “This is the right decision to postpone our event in the light of the current situation,” said Gerard Neveu, Executive Director of FIA WEC and ELMS. “We are currently working on a review of our WEC, ELMS, Michelin Le Mans Cup and Ligier European Series calendars for the remainder of this season and for the 9th season of WEC, which was due to begin in September 2020,” he added.

 The 24 Hours of Le Mans is far from the only motorsport event postponed or canceled as a result of the coronavirus (Covid-19). Last week, the Australian Grand Prix F1 was canceled at the very last minute.