Jaguar Land Rover Announces Mass Reduction

Jaguar Land Rover Announces Mass Reduction

June 16, 2020 0 By autotimesnews

Jaguar Land Rover has announced ambitious plans to cut 1,100 jobs to cope with the financial blow from the Covid-19 pandemic.

The British automaker reported a pre-tax loss of £ 422 million ($ 531 million) a year before March, in addition to a pre-tax loss of £ 500 million ($ 629 million) in the last quarter of last year.

In the coming months, Jaguar Land Rover will reduce 1,100 temporary jobs. New cuts go on top of the 5,000 employees laid off by the company last year. The latest reduction is “another crushing blow for our automotive sector and the communities that rely on them to find work,” Unite Union said, adding that 400 workers would be lost at the largest JLR plant in Solihull, and the rest would be distributed across the country. .

The company said it received a total of 22,000 orders for the new Land Rover Defender. This figure disappoints analysts who turned to the Financial Times, adding that it only slightly exceeds the number of old Defender sold in the last year of production in 2016.

The automaker has begun reopening factories in the UK and Europe, but many of them operate at low power. The JLR Castle Bromwich plant is still closed. “The company plans to resume production gradually to meet growing demand,” the JLR said in a statement.