Giant corporations in the U.S. decide to hit Tesla batteriesDecember 10, 2019
In the United States, General Motors and Korean giant LG Chem are investing $ 2.3 billion in a joint venture for electric car batteries.
This was reported by the press service of GM. The new production is supposed to surpass the Tesla plant.
Judging by the available information, the new alliance enterprise will make it possible to reduce the cost of battery production. Companies expect the plant to produce batteries with a total volume of about 30 GW / h per year.
If General Motors and LG really launch a plant with such power, it will surpass the Tesla Gigafactory1 battery factory in Fermont, which produces 20 GW / h. It is worth noting that in the future, the company Ilona Mask plans to reduce battery production costs by 30%. Thanks to this, Tesla wants to bring the design capacity of the plant to 35 GW / h by 2020.
According to GM, the plant is being built at a new location in the Lordstown area (Ohio), and 1.1 thousand jobs will be created on it. At the same time, the Tesla plant provides work for about 6 thousand people.
LG Chem is one of the world’s leading battery manufacturers and supplies batteries for Ford, Hyundai, Tesla, Volkswagen and Volvo. At the same time, Tesla creates its batteries in conjunction with Panasonic.
- Lamborghini Jarama, a charismatic sports car, celebrates its 50th anniversary
- Tesla wants to build third-generation charging stations in China
- Volkswagen will stop selling Passat sedan in Europe
- Tesla is already worth more than $ 550 billion – it entered the Top 6 most valuable companies in the US
- Elon Musk spoke about the autonomy of the Tesla Semi electric truck