Ford officially ends production of the Ford Fusion

Ford officially ends production of the Ford Fusion

August 6, 2020 0 By autotimesnews

There was a time when the Ford Fusion was one of the best-selling Blue Oval models in the US. However, the midsize sedan segment is no longer what it used to be, and Ford ultimately decided to ditch the Fusion entirely.

Fiesta, Focus, and Taurus have also fallen victim to Ford’s controversial choice to end the North American lineup in favor of SUVs, pickups and electric vehicles. Whether or not it will pay off remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure: Fusion officially no longer exists. The latest Fusion sedan rolled off the assembly line at the Hermosillo plant in Mexico on July 31. The new Ford Bronco Sport will take its place at the production site.

“As promised, Ford is reinventing the car to meet consumer preferences and expanding its business by significantly expanding our SUV portfolio in North America with all-new Bronco and Bronco Sport, all-electric Mustang Mach-E and all-new Escape and Explorer, America’s best selling SUV. As part of this shift, we stopped production of the Fusion sedans on July 3, ”said Ford spokesman Sam Shembari.

The last Fusion was originally slated to be built on July 21, but coronavirus-related issues have caused a slight delay. The model finally disappeared from the order log back in February last year, so anyone who wants to buy a sedan will have to choose from what is available from dealers. The same goes for the Lincoln MKZ, a more luxurious version of the Fusion: both sedans were built side-by-side at the same facility.

The renamed Ford Mondeo Fusion sedan, available in overseas markets, is expected to be phased out as well, but it is said to return as a crossover station wagon in the near future.