Ford is investing in a breakthrough solid-state battery developerApril 16, 2019
Startup Solid Power, announced a joint development with Ford of a “breakthrough” solid-state battery for next-generation electric vehicles.
Solid Power is a startup from Colorado that emerged as the result of a battery research program at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
The company claims to have achieved a breakthrough by inserting a high-capacity lithium-metal anode into lithium batteries — creating a solid-state cell with an energy consumption 2-3 times higher than that of conventional lithium-ion batteries.
They have already attracted 20 million investments from some large companies, such as BMW, Hyundai, Samsung and are now adding Ford to their growing list of investors.
The company introduced several potential benefits of its solid-state battery technology:
50% more energy compared to lithium-ion counterparts; simplicity of design;
higher safety due to the exclusion of flammable liquid electrolyte;
low-cost battery pack designs, by minimizing safety costs;
high manufacturability and focus on automated, industry-standard manufacturing.
- Ford Bronco now available with 7-speed manual transmission
- Mercedes has decided to postpone the premiere of the electric crossover EQA
- Drag racing: Porsche 911 Carrera S or Chevy Camaro ZL1
- Engine of 3000-horsepower diesel truck explodes on dyno
- Nissan Maxima received an anniversary special version