BMW showed why it is important to change summer tires to winterOctober 10, 2019
The video demonstrated the influence of the type of tires on the dynamics and handling
The influence of tire performance was tested on the rear-wheel drive BMW M4 Competition. In the first part of the races on dry asphalt, the red coupe was equipped with frictional winter tires, the olive M4 was shod in “ordinary” summer tires, and the dark blue sports car received racing half-slices. Experts compared the dynamics of acceleration in a short sprint, handling in a snake at city speeds and braking performance at a speed of 150 kilometers per hour.
Then, similar exercises were carried out on packed snow: in the most effective summer tires, a gray compartment was shod, red M4 got studless winter tires, and golden one got studded tires.
The BMW video highlights the need for timely rubber changes. The slowdown efficiency is most severely affected by off-season tires: “incorrect” tires increase the braking distance by tens of meters.
- Electric crossover Ioniq 5 unveiledin the screenshot
- New Toyota Land Cruiser 300 will be available for pre-order in March
- Mazda MX-5 turned into a retro roadster
- Ford to recall US police cars
- New Segway-transformer Ninebot received a racing wheel and a capacious battery