Audi and SAIC can become partnersDecember 11, 2019
The German brand hinted at a partnership with the largest Chinese automaker.
According to rumors, Audi is ready to add the largest Chinese automaker as a manufacturing partner, as the German premium brand seeks to regain the share lost by Mercedes-Benz and BMW in the world’s largest market.
Parent company Audi Volkswagen Group and Chinese SAIC Motor Corp. invited parts manufacturers to bid to become suppliers for the Audi A7L, which they plan to build, according to a document posted on the website of the China bidding and procurement network. According to a statement issued on December 2, interested bidders may receive tender documents by December 9.
The document suggests that the long-standing negotiations between Volkswagen and Audi over Audi have progressed to such an extent that they can begin to lay the foundations for a supply chain. SAIC and Volkswagen are in talks to expand cooperation to include Audi, and both sides have developed a preliminary plan for which cars they will produce together, Chen Hong told shareholders in May.
SAIC will inform the media of a partnership with Audi next year, but details have not been announced. The German side also has so far declined to comment.
- Volkswagen is working on a compact crossover ID.1
- Mitsubishi completes production of the world’s first mass-produced electric car
- The perfect self-driving taxi Muvone presented in the coronavirus pandemic
- Amphicar small-capacity convertible amphibious will be on sale
- Ford is testing a manual version of the Bronco SUV