Aston Martin returns to Le Mans postponed

Aston Martin returns to Le Mans postponed

February 20, 2020 0 By autotimesnews

Aston Martin said the planned return to endurance racing and the 24 Hours of Le Mans with the Valkyrie hypercar have been postponed. In the British company, famous for its sports cars, explaining such a decision, referred to changes in the rules of WEC.

“This decision means that the Aston Martin Valkyrie hypercar will not make its debut at Silverstone in August 2020 and will not perform” 24 hours of Le Mans “in 2021,” said Andy Palmer, the company’s executive director, in a statement. – At the moment, we are taking a break, as we are considering the possibility of participating in WEC in the prototype class.

Aston Martin’s desire to fight for the victory at Le Mans 24 Hours has not weakened, but we believe that we should reconsider our position in the light of significant changes that were not expected when we headed for WEC last year. ”

https://ssp-nj1.webtradehub.com/?c=n&m=tag&placementId=21442&ip=[IP]&ua=[UA]&domain=[DOMAIN]&page=[PAGE]&secure=[SECURE]&language=[BROWSER_LANGUAGE]&bidfloor=[BIDFLOOR]&gdpr_consent=[GDPR_CONSENT]

At the same time, in the GTE category, the Aston Martin Racing team, participating in the Vantage GTE sports cars, will continue to participate in the World Endurance Championship.

Aston Martin’s decision has already been commented on by ACO, the French auto club, the organizer of the Le Mans marathon: “This was probably not a surprise in the light of the constant rumors circulating for more than six months about the unstable economic situation of this brand in the rapidly changing automotive market.”

Sales of sports cars that the company produces are really falling, as are its stock quotes, which was used by Lawrence Stroll, co-owner of Racing Point, who acquired a stake in Aston Martin at the end of January, and from next year the Silverstone team will be renamed and receive factory status.