1938 Harley-Davidson EL sold 354x its starting priceJune 1, 2021
This 83-year-old bike is considered one of the first motorcycles of the American manufacturer from Wisconsin.
Auction house Mecum has found a new owner for a parity motorcycle Harley-Davidson EL, which rolled off the assembly line back in 1938. This bike with a motor known as the Knucklehead cost the buyer $ 154,000.
Moreover, such a new motorcycle cost only $ 435. The difference in price, taking into account inflation, is not so impressive: $ 435 in 1938 is $ 8,122 today, the specialists of the Autoevolution portal calculated.
As for the liter 40-horsepower engine, it got its popular nickname “knucklehead” or “fisthead” because of its appearance. Its valve cover resembles the knuckles of a clenched fist. This retro bike has been an exhibit of the museum for the last 42 years and has undergone a thorough restoration during this time.
It was the Harley-Davidson EL motorcycle that laid the foundation for the iconic design of the current bikes of this brand. The circulation of this model was 2,289 copies.
- The head of Tesla advertises the electric motor of the new supercar Tesla Roadster
- General Motors will release a low-cost 9-seater car
- Subaru introduced in Japan the updated crossover Forester 2022
- Jeep officially opens new plant in Detroit
- Tesla may start accepting Bitcoin payments again